70 Amazing Houses from Around the World
Do you prefer the quiet calm of a house on the water or the daring adventure of a house hanging off of a cliff, agreat greenhouse design or a uncannyunderground home design? A giant space in which to sprawl or a tiny nook in which to seek solitude? Whether you aspire to something exotic and unique orcomfortable and cozythere is sure to be acontemporary,ultramodern,portable or prefabhouse here for you. Sorted into eight types, here are seventy of the most amazing, unusual, offbeat and unique houses in the world.
1) Unique Beach and Lake Houses: What could be more relaxing and peaceful than an extended stay at a house on the water? How about: a stay in one of these architecturally amazing beach and lake houses that defy conventions, buck traditions and in one case represents the realization of an amazing designer’s lifelong engineering aspirations.
2) Dizzying Cliff and Mountain Houses: If beach houses are relaxing these precarious structures are anything but. Perched on the edges of daunting precipices these cliff and mountain homes are some of the scariest places you could possibly think to live. Some have survived for centuries while others are (quite literally) on the brink of destruction.
3) Crazy Condos and Townhouses: Of course, not everyone can afford an extra lake house or to live with an amazing view from a mountain home. While condos and townhouses may have the reputation of being small, secondary and boring these awesome examples defy conventions and embody both brilliantly creative and livable design concepts.
4) Absurdly Cramped and Crowded Houses: OK, so some of us can’t even afford a condo per say but don’t dismay – there is certainly a strange and small house somewhere with which you can make your mark. Whether you want to live on a bus, in the skinniest house in the world, a tiny cabin on wheels or an airlifted box is a question only you can answer.
5) Glittering Greenhouses and Glass Houses: Many of us value our privacy and make it a priority when seeking out the perfect house – but some people do the opposite. Ranging from glass shacks to beautiful greenhouses here are some great examples of extremely extroverted designs revolving around openness, transparency and visual clarity.
6) Haunted Houses and Hotels: For the more adventurous homeowner and intrepid traveler there are a number of places where you might pay far less (or significantly more) because of rumors of hauntings. These notorious structures have been the subjects of speculation and in some cases filming by paranormal enthusiasts and thrill seekers.
7) Historic and Beautiful Lighthouses: There is something compelling about lighthouses, literal beacons in the night from days gone by when they served vital functions. As a building type light houses have become virtually extinct. Most of those that still exist have been converted to other functions such as cozy little hotels or even conventional homes.
8) Uncanny Dollhouses and Doghouses: Of course not every house is built or fit for human occupancy – and these miniature structures represent some particularly engaging designs at a much smaller scale. These crazy dog and doll houses range from inexpensive, humorous and endearing to costly, glamorous and downright disturbing.
14 Beautiful and Historic Lighthouses
What is it about lighthouses that captures our attention? Is it the history behind these relics of a less technologically-advanced age? Is it the quaint charm of the towers?
7 Glittering Greenhouses and Glass Houses
While some of these glass houses seem impractical for everyday living, others serve a very real purpose – to capture and convert the power of the sun.